• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Why this bank lawyer volunteers to teach seniors how to use digital banking apps and PayLah!

LaksaNews

Myth
Angie Tan is a legal counsel at DBS Bank. As an in-house lawyer, she advises its bankers on industry regulations, leads the bank’s negotiations with major fund houses, and supports the bank’s digital transformation projects.

But when she is not providing legal counsel to bankers, Tan spends her free time talking finance to vulnerable groups in the community – seniors, children with special needs, and abused women and children.

The 37-year-old teaches them how to navigate digital banking, avoid scams and manage their money better.

TEACHING SENIORS ABOUT DIGITAL LITERACY

With access to shopping, food, banking, transport and our social network at a phone’s length away, some seniors are finding themselves locked out of this increasingly digitalised world.

To help them remain independent and connected, Tan volunteers at DBS’ volunteer movement People of Purpose (PoP), to teach seniors how to access digital banking.

These ongoing workshops are held at resident committee centres, hawker centres, community clubs and senior centres. Seniors are taught, one-to-one, how to use DBS’ digital banking app and PayLah!.

dbs_people_with_purpose_volunteer_programme.jpeg

Tan (left) volunteers to teach seniors digital literacy. “We all want that sense of agency, control and self-reliance,” she said. (Photo: DBS Bank)

“We download the apps together with seniors and walk them through how to navigate it. For example, for PayLah!, how to scan to pay, or pay someone via their phone number.

“If the senior is comfortable enough, we take the senior to a simulation booth where they can buy actual things like a box of tissue paper or wet wipes for a token amount such as S$1 to practise how to scan the QR code and purchase the item,” she said.

Over the past six months, Tan has volunteered at three such workshops. Each session generally takes 20 to 30 minutes. However, in some cases, they can last longer.

Tan recalled an hour-long session with a senior who was not able to type in matching passwords to set up her digital banking. It took her 15 to 20 tries to finally get her passwords to match.

Other common challenges seniors face: “I might tell them where the scan button is, and the next moment, they can’t find it. Or they may be scanning when the flap of their phone covers their camera so they can’t find the QR code,” said Tan.

“I get more empathetic every time I interact with seniors. These are simple things we take for granted.”

dbs_legal_counsel_angie_tan_with_mother.jpeg

Tan helped her 63-year-old mother (right) set up a Facebook account to stay connected. (Photo: Angie Tan)

Tan’s own experience guiding seniors started when her 63-year-old mother decided to get on Facebook several years ago.

“Her friends started to tell her about what they saw on Facebook. I could sense that she wanted to feel more connection because when we are at work, she’s at home. She needs to have that community. So we offered to help her to set up Facebook.

“What surprised me was how quickly and how intuitively she picked it up. During COVID-19, she got a lot more savvy, following merchants and stars. Now she goes on Facebook every day,” she laughed.

Related:​

BASIC SCAM AWARENESS

Tan, who is single, noted that one of the key barriers for seniors navigating the digital world is the fear of scams – a concern that family members share as well.

She related a session with a senior at the DBS’ digital literacy workshop where the senior’s daughter was uncomfortable about giving the senior her ATM and Singpass details for the digital banking setup – she did not want her to be exposed to scams.

I can understand why. Especially when scams are so prevalent nowadays,” she said. “The more digitally exposed you are, the more exposed you are to online scams.”

However, Tan added that scams can affect both the young and old, and can take place both online and offline. She encourages seniors not to let fear hold them back, but to acquire the knowledge and awareness necessary to navigate the digital world safely and avoid both virtual and in-person scams.

Follow the Ministry of Home Affairs’ recommendation to Add, Check and Tell, summed up by the acronym ACT, she said.

Add security features like ScamShield to your phone to weed out scam calls and shield you from malware. Check for telltale signs of scams that prey on your vulnerabilities or make you act on impulse by creating a false sense of urgency. Tell authorities once you spot a scam.

dbs_legal_counsel_and_digital_literary_volunteer_angie_tan.jpeg

Tan believes that seniors who have the desire to learn can be educated on digital literacy. (Photo: DBS Bank)

She added that two other basic rules are to never share your ID and password with anyone, even someone who sounds like your loved one; and never download any apps that people ask you to download, especially from third-party online stores.

“Our seniors can be safe if they follow the tips, and are more alert and aware of the scam types. They are just like us, they can learn,” she said.

HELPING OTHER VULNERABLE GROUPS

Besides seniors, under the DBS volunteer programme, she has taught special needs children how to count change and save money.

“There are people in our society who don’t have a voice. They are most often left out or forgotten. We need to include them in our [digital and financial] education,” she said.

In her personal capacity, she also volunteers at the Anglican Family Centre, a crisis shelter for women and children who are victims of domestic abuse.

In 2021, she proposed running a financial literacy workshop for the residents, and currently conducts yearly June holiday workshops for children aged between eight and 14. Over four weekly sessions, she teaches them the concepts of saving, spending, debts, investing and digital literacy – key skills for social mobility.

angie_tan-anglican_family_centre_volunteer_0.jpeg

Tan volunteers at the Anglican Family Centre, conducting financial literacy workshops. (Photo: Angie Tan)

“People from higher income families can afford to invest in their children, and invest in tuition and enrichment classes. While there’s still mobility for children from low-income families, parents don’t have the means to [invest in these] or have more urgent needs to meet,” she observed.

This is something that resonates with Tan, whose father was a sand truck driver and mother was a factory worker. Tan was a latchkey child.

“In primary one, I did very badly, especially for English. I got 50 to 60 marks. My English teacher wrote… just one handwritten sentence [in my report book]. She said, ‘She should talk less and read more’.

“It was super hurtful. After that, I kind of clammed up in class. But I started to read a lot. That taught me that harsh remarks really don’t need to define you. They can be motivators,” she told CNA Women.

“I also saw how hard my mum and dad worked and knew from a young age that they exchanged a lot of their own time and time with family for money.

“My mum always encouraged us to do better than her. That spurred me to work hard in school,” she added.

Her love for the notions of justice, equality and fairness inspired Tan to apply for law school and she started her career in litigation. However, she later moved into financial law because she identified it as her personal strength.

However, equity continued to appeal to Tan, and today, volunteer work helps her to realise these aspirations.

“Engaging with the more vulnerable, giving a bit of my time, resources and talents is my way of not just reaching out but also advocating and championing for these folks and friends. Each of us can do small things to lift up people in our immediate circle,” she said.

CNA Women is a section on CNA Lifestyle that seeks to inform, empower and inspire the modern woman. If you have women-related news, issues and ideas to share with us, email CNAWomen [at] mediacorp.com.sg.

Continue reading...

Back