• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

'The last thing I could honour my dad with': SAF officer engraves late father's name on sword won in Britain

LaksaNews

Myth
SINGAPORE: Unlike most officers’ swords, Lieutenant Nicholas Tang’s bears two names - his and his father’s.

This was a special request made by the Singaporean when he was awarded the prestigious International Sword at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst in the United Kingdom earlier this month.

The 26-year-old wanted to honour his late father Jason Tang by engraving his name onto the sword, which is given to the best international cadet.

Both British army officers and selected officers from countries across the globe undergo leadership training at the Academy. Singapore, for one, has been invited to send officers since 1992.

lta_nicholas_02.jpg

LTA Nicholas Tang represented Singapore at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst (RMAS). (Photo: CNA/Marcus Mark Ramos)

LTA Tang was in the midst of his 44-week long training in Sandhurst in December 2023, when he learnt that his father was in critical condition.

The late Mr Tang had been ill since 2021, when a cyst formed on his right leg and further complications led to an amputation.

“It’s (in) that moment when you feel helpless; don’t know what you can do. All I wanted was to at least see him one more time,” said LTA Tang during an interview with the media on Monday (Apr 22).

He sought approval to fly back to Singapore, and visited his father at the hospital. It was then that LTA Tang promised that he would win the prestigious International Sword for his dad.

“It was the last thing that I thought I could honour my dad with,” he said.

A couple days later, his father took his last breath.

“My mum told me that (it was as if) he held on all the way till the end, till I’m back before he (died),” said the lieutenant.

Photo_with_Dad__0.jpg

Lieutenant Nicholas Tang with his father, Jason Tang. (Photo: MINDEF)

BAK CHOR MEE AND I LOVE YOUS​

Growing up, LTA Tang didn't get to spend much time with his father, who worked late night shifts as a taxi driver. His father would be asleep when he went to school; and off to work by the time he returned.

The only time they had together was during meals and the occasional night drive for supper. “He liked to drive me around. We would go and find bak chor mee (minced meat noodles) and all my favourite supper food,” LTA Tang shared fondly.

He was a good father working to provide for the family even to the point of skipping his meals, the Singapore army officer added.

The late Mr Tang had been proud of his son since he signed on with the army in late 2021.

But the younger man admitted to never openly expressing his feelings towards his father. “I don’t usually say ‘I love you dad’ and all that stuff.

“So the last time I got to see him, I was able to say … ‘I love you dad … I know at some point I might have disappointed you … but now that I’ve grown up, things (have) changed’."

sword_engraving.jpg

Lieutenant Nicholas Tang engraved his late father Jason Tang's name onto his sword. (Photo: MINDEF)

NOT ALONE IN SANDHURST​

Training overseas at the Royal Military Academy also meant that LTA Tang missed significant milestones such as his eldest sister’s wedding and the birth of his second sister’s son.

But the strong support received from his platoon at the Academy made things easier for the Singaporean. His fellow officers gave him space to recover from his loss, and were there for him.

The platoon wrote him a letter when he returned after his father’s death, which LTA Tang found “touching” given that he had known them for less than a year.

“That connection, friendship and relationship with people … it really means a lot to me.”

march_shoot_photo_with_platoon.jpg

Lieutenant Tang with his platoon during his overseas training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. (Photo: MINDEF)

Related:​

It was at that moment that LTA Tang realised that everybody was rooting for him. “I have people with me; I’m not alone and therefore I can remain focused.”

He pressed on with the rigorous training, and didn't stop exercising and improving his fitness even during downtime.

After almost a year, his time at the Royal Military Academy came to an end with him being recognised as the best international officer cadet.

His family watched the award presentation via a livestream, and sent him a video of his young nephew applauding.

“They couldn’t wait for me to come back home,” he said with a smile.

More importantly, winning the international award meant that LTA Tang had fulfilled his word of honour. The sword, carrying his father's name and his father's memory, is now his to keep.

Continue reading...

Back