• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Nicoll Highway collapse: 20 years on, colleagues remember 'Hero Heng' who lost his life saving others

LaksaNews

Myth
SINGAPORE: Twenty years may have passed, but former colleagues still remember their foreman, whom they affectionately call Hero Heng.

Every Apr 20, they gather at a memorial service with fruits and joss sticks to honour Mr Heng Yeow Pheow, who lost his life saving his workers during the Nicoll Highway collapse in 2004.

His body was never found but his legacy remains close to the hearts of many.

“My heart (is) very sad. I cannot say anything. (It has been a) long time but I still remember. I won't forget,” said Mr Phornamdaeng Thiticha.

Mr Thiticha, along with seven others, were pulled to safety by Mr Heng as their worksite crumbled during the incident.

In face of life-threatening danger, the foreman stayed behind to ensure his men were safe.

His ex-colleagues from construction company KORI Holdings described him as a selfless man who always ensured others were taken care of.

“Every year we come to pray for him. To remember him. All the times when I come to this place, I remember him. My friend is here. It is very sad when I come here,” Mr Suphathip Sanya, another former colleague, told CNA during this year's tribute.

The annual event is held at the incident site, where a commemorative structure to honour him is located.

nicoll_highway_collapse_3_scdf_search_rescue_dogs.jpg

SCDF search and rescue personnel and dogs respond at the scene of the Nicoll Highway collapse in April, 2004. (File Photo: SCDF Corporate Communications Department)

Among the items laid out during the annual event is a pair of gloves which Mr Heng's close friend and colleague Hooi Yu Koh used to indicate where he last saw the foreman.

“I was accompanying DART (Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team) to go inside to the collapsed area,” he recalled.

“The area was completely flooded and we could only use our bare hands. One of the civil defence officers extended this pair of gloves to me. I used it to try to find Mr Heng but I couldn’t locate him. I’ve always kept this pair of gloves with me through this 20 years.”

screenshot_331.png

During each annual tribute, colleagues lay out this pair of gloves, which was used to indicate where Mr Heng was last seen during the incident.

Mr Heng was one of four people killed in the tragedy, when a temporary retaining wall of the tunnel at the Nicoll Highway Circle Line MRT station construction site caved in.

Mr Hooi said his friend's death was not in vain, for the incident has triggered massive changes in the construction industry.

“After this tragedy, there has been a lot of improvements in the industry, and has made the entire sector more safety conscious. From this incident, we learned a lot of things,” he said.

“His effort to save others has had a great impact on all of us. This memory and fondness we have of him carry us through to the future.”

screenshot_333.png

This bench in Tampines Tree Park is dedicated to Mr Heng for his heroic effort in saving his colleagues. The plaque reads: "In memory of Heng Yeow Pheow. A loving husband and father. A brave man who lost his life while saving others at the Nicoll Highway collapse in 2004. Our hero."

His valour is remembered in other ways.

Ten years ago, a bench in Tampines Tree Park was dedicated to Mr Heng for his brave effort in saving his colleagues.

His widow Sally Heng, and two children Daniel and Joann, chose the location because it is close to their home and they used to make frequent trips to the park with him.

His colleagues said they plan to continue honouring their life-saver for years to come.

Continue reading...

Back