• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

'My chief; my PM': Tributes flow for Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at final May Day Rally

LaksaNews

Myth
SINGAPORE: In a crowded ballroom on Wednesday (May 1), Kunalan Muthukumarasamy found himself emotional as he recalled his late father’s contributions to Singapore’s labour movement.

His father was in the Amalgamated Union of Public Daily Rated Workers, which dissolved in 2021 and had its members subsumed under the Amalgamated Union of Public Employees.

Memories of his father's efforts to improve the lives of workers surfaced during Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's May Day speech, where the nation's outgoing leader thanked unionists for contributing to Singapore’s strong tripartism collaboration with employers and the government.

This gratitude, however, flowed both ways, with members of the labour movement paying tribute to the soon-to-be Senior Minister.

Mr Kunalan, for one, shared with CNA that his father used to refer to Mr Lee as "my chief".

When his father passed away in 2019, Mr Lee attended the wake and spent about an hour chatting with the family.

“Even after he leaves office, I will still remember him for what he has done for Singapore," said Mr Kunalan, an environmental health and safety executive. "He was my PM.”

Related:​

For this year's rally, the Food, Drinks and Allied Workers Union decided that the best way to thank Mr Lee would be to do it "like a fan club" would.

So union president Julie Cheong and other members came armed with whistles and golden balloons held aloft which spelt out “PM LEE”.

Madam Zahra Hadir, a member of the United Workers of Electronics and Electrical Industries, told CNA that Mr Lee had remained committed to the interests of workers in Singapore throughout his 20-year leadership of the country.

“He doesn’t just talk, he takes action,” she said.

The 60-year-old described Mr Lee as working hard to prioritise older workers, such as by enabling them to remain in the workforce and draw income for longer.

MAKING GOOD ON PROMISES​

In Mr Lee's speech, he highlighted various development plans coming to fruition - showing that the government has delivered on what it sought to do, said Labour Member of Parliament Yeo Wan Ling.

She also noted that Mr Lee’s government has paid attention to making Singapore more inclusive.

For example, Central Singapore District mayor Denise Phua was fielded as a candidate in the 2006 General Election, with the aim to do more to help those with special needs.

Since then, with the government's support, she has built up Singapore's first autism-focused school in Pathlight and founded The Purple Parade movement for persons with special needs, Mr Lee pointed out in his address.

This shows that the country’s leadership is willing to listen to what is needed on the ground, said Ms Yeo, who is MP for Pasir Ris-Punggol.

Fellow labour MP Desmond Choo has helped organise a few May Day Rallies over the years, but he told CNA this "must be the most special one”.

"(PM Lee) was the one who asked me to join the labour movement when I joined politics,” said Mr Choo, who is assistant secretary-general of the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC).

He added that before each May Day Rally, Mr Lee would request to meet at least 20 unionists, taking two to three hours to talk to them and listening to their perspectives on issues.

“Every one of our unionists who went through that felt that the national leader bothers to consult us," said Mr Choo, an MP for Tampines.

"If there’s anything you want to share with him, there are no gaps and no filter. And this is what we appreciate in a leader, being transparent and accessible."

During Wednesday’s rally, NTUC also put together a tribute video capturing the partnership between the labour movement and Mr Lee's government.

It showcased excerpts of Mr Lee’s speeches at various May Day Rallies over the years, along with personal anecdotes from individuals who've had experiences and interactions with him.

NTUC president K Thanaletchimi and secretary-general Ng Chee Meng on Wednesday also presented Mr Lee with a commemorative book titled #EveryPrimeMinisterMatters: Our Salute to Brother Lee Hsien Loong.

In his opening speech, Mr Ng said Mr Lee had made remarkable contributions to the labour movement, including improving wages, welfare and work prospects.

“Your commitment to improve workers’ lives is admirable," said Mr Ng.

"Your advocacy for fair employment practices has created new opportunities for locals and uplifted the workforce.”

Continue reading...

Back