• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Jesseca Liu: What were the 5 roles that defined her acting career?

LaksaNews

Myth
It seems like just yesterday when Jesseca Liu propelled to fame for playing Ruan Mian Mian, the shy, demure Vietnamese bride, in 2005 Mediacorp drama Portrait Of Home.

Just like that, it’s been 19 years since the 45-year-old Malaysia-born actress was named Best Newcomer at the Star Awards in 2005. Come this Sunday (Apr 21), she will be ascending the All-Time Favourite Artiste altar along with fellow inductee Ann Kok.

8days reached out to Jess for a peek into her past 20 years in showbiz, and found out what she thinks are the roles that made her a star.

Surprise, surprise, Ruan Mian Mian isn't one of them.

FALLING IN LOVE (2005)

photo1713343767_2.jpeg

Would you be able to recognise Jesseca as Zheng Zi Hui in Falling In Love if we didn't tell you it's her? (Photo: mewatch)

Jesseca's road to stardom began after she was scouted by a producer, who offered her a role in Mediacorp drama The Champions in 2004.

Her career took off the next year after playing Ruan Mian Mian and Jesseca quickly became known to audiences as the gentle, soft-spoken beauty with long flowing tresses.

That's when the actress suddenly had a complete change of style for what she considers her "big breakthrough" in 2005 series Falling In Love, a co-production between Mediacorp and Malaysia's ntv7.

"In the drama, I had to act like a tomboy and it was quite memorable because I got rid of all my 'idol baggage' for that role," recalled Jess, who chopped her hair off for the show.

"During one of the promo events, everyone was stunned when I appeared (as my usual self) because it was too different from my character in the show," she added.

SECRETS FOR SALE (2011)

photo1713343767_1.jpeg

Jesseca as Zhou Jiaqi in Secrets For Sale. (Photo: mewatch)

The Ch U blockbuster saw Jess playing an ex-cop who inherits a private detective agency from her missing husband and sister. It was a project that ticked all the boxes for Jesseca.

"I really liked the character and script for the entire show," said the actress.

Jesseca also enjoyed her time on set with co-star Christopher Lee, and shared that they had "impeccable chemistry" working together.

WHO KILLED THE LEAD (2014)

photo1713343845.jpeg

Jess was Lin Hui Ru in Who Killed The Lead. (Photo: YouTube/Wawa Pictures)

We all know Jesseca's a natural on camera, but who knew she's such a pro behind the scenes too?

"This was the first time I tried scriptwriting and it was really memorable for me," she revealed. "That was also the time I gained interest in backstage production work, which was why I decided to take on this role."

THE QUEEN (2006)
photo1713343767_3.jpeg

Serving queen vibes in The Queen as Guan Xin. (Photo: mewatch)

Nothing bonds women like a common hatred towards men who broke their hearts, and nothing brings them together like revenge.

That's basically what the 20-episode revenge drama was all about, with Jess, a merciless divorce lawyer, the leader of their girl gang.

While that experience may or may not be something the cast, namely Jesseca, Apple Hong, Jayley Woo, Priscelia Chan and Michelle Chia, relate to in real life, the friendship they forged on the show was so strong, they remain close til today.

"I really enjoyed the entire filming process. After the show, us, Queens, also became very close and we still keep in touch frequently," she shared.

ONCE UPON A NEW YEAR'S EVE (2024) AND MIND MATTERS (2018)

photo1713343767_4.jpeg

Acting as a mum in Mind Matters as Qin Xiuxiu felt very different from that of Zhou Chen Xi in Once Upon A New Year's Eve. (Photos: mewatch)

They say one would never understand how it feels to be a mother until you become one, and we're sure Jesseca agrees.

The actress has been married to Mediacorp actor Jeremy Chan since 2017 and the couple has no kids.

"For Mind Matters, that was my first time acting as a mother and it was very memorable for me because I couldn't convince myself mentally to pretend I was a mum," explained Jesseca.

"But this year, when I played a mum in Once Upon A New Year's Eve, I somehow gained a different understanding. I suddenly could feel the emotions, be it happy or sad, of a mum."

In fact, the feelings were so real that Jesseca even started treating her on-screen children, played by He Yingying and Brian Ng, like her own.

While it's definitely been one hell of a ride for Jess, we couldn't help but wonder if she has at any point regretted leaving Malaysia to start a career in Singapore.

"I believe everything in life serves as a lesson and I won't regret any decision I've made since I'm someone who prefers to look ahead," she answered.

"If I didn't come to Singapore back then, people wouldn't have gotten to know Ruan Mian Mian, which means the Jesseca Liu we see today won't exist."

photo1713345190.jpeg

How could we leave out Ruan Mian Mian, right? (Photo: mewatch)

That said, Jesseca, who's currently filming upcoming Mediacorp drama Unforgivable, does find it a pity that she had to sacrifice time spent with her family in Malaysia.

"But I make it a point to set aside some time every year to plan a trip with my family and make sure we have ample family time," she told us.

This story was originally published in 8days.

For more 8Days stories, visit https://www.8days.sg/

Continue reading...

Back