• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

'In that zone, I’m unstoppable': Meet teen Kabir Anurag, first Singaporean F1 development driver

LaksaNews

Myth
SINGAPORE: When a fresh-faced Kabir Anurag first relocated to Italy one-and-a-half years ago to chase his Formula 1 dreams, he had to lose 9kg.

Not that he was overweight – the Singaporean teenager was perfectly healthy.

However, standing at 1.9m, he is taller than average – and even more so for a race car driver.

He needed to be leaner than most to race at maximum speed – as additional weight slows a car down – but his body must also have enough muscle mass to withstand the physical demands of the sport. Today’s F1 drivers weigh an average of about 70kg.

Kabir attributed his discipline in those early days to his manager Pavan Ravishankar, who used to wake him up in the wee hours to train.

“I have to be very slim (because of my height). Pavan was the one who really pushed me, those 7am mornings, just making me run. That also helped build a lot of character,” he told CNA.

His body fat percentage dropped by a whopping 15 per cent – from 23 per cent to 8 per cent.

His efforts paid off. Since then, the 16-year-old’s racing career has accelerated into high gear.

kabir_anurag_f1_f4_singapore_alpine_6.jpeg

US Racing's Kabir Anurag of Singapore at the Mugello Circuit in Italy. (Photo: Team Kabir Anurag)

Last month, the Formula 4 driver became the first Singaporean to join an F1 development team.

He was just one of nine drivers to be recruited into the Alpine F1 team’s driver development programme, which nurtures young talents.

Kabir said the programme is the first major step towards his goal of becoming the first Singaporean F1 driver, adding he did not expect to make such swift progress in his fledgling career.

“Signing with the programme – you have recognition and you have the support of an F1 team that believes you could be F1 material in a few years. Of course, you need to keep on getting the results as you move up, but it is the most important first step,” he said.

“I didn't expect things to (happen) this fast. There's no way that 12 months ago, I would have even guessed that I'm in an F1 academy today. I started out as this small chubby kid who just wanted to chase his dream.”

A TRAINEE JUST 2 YEARS AGO​

When CNA spoke to Kabir on Monday (May 6), about two years after the last interview, the evidence of his efforts to lose weight showed.

This time, he chatted to CNA from Desenzano Del Garda in northern Italy, where he is preparing for his rookie season in the Italian F4 and Euro 4 championships with German team US Racing.

F4 is the first step on the ladder to F1, where drivers will have to progress through F3 and F2 before getting to the pinnacle of motorsport racing.

Back then, Kabir was a trainee at Singapore's KF1 Karting Circuit. His coach at the time – Pavan, now his manager – stuck with him through thick and thin, and even moved to Italy with him to help with his development.

The team around Kabir now comprises about six people whom Pavan feels can help the teenager achieve his dreams.

“We have the right people around Kabir to bring him all the way to F1. It's all in his hands. And if we get it right and the strategy is good, we will definitely knock on the door,” said Pavan, a former driver who competed in the now-defunct British F3.

kabir_anurag_f1_f4_singapore_alpine_7.jpeg

The Singapore flag and Kabir Anurag's name are seen on his car. (Photo: Team Kabir Anurag)

When he is not practising or racing, Kabir spends his mornings training in the gym, and his afternoons doing online schoolwork in preparations for the IGCSE, which is equivalent to the O-levels.

In the evenings, he hangs out with his racing buddies, many who also came from Asia to realise their Grand Prix dreams.

F1 AND PODIUM DREAMS​

As a development driver, Kabir has access to some of the best resources the sport has to offer.

He will benefit from the guidance and support of both the Alpine Academy’s staff and the wider F1 team, and have access to its facilities in Enstone in England.

“I have on-track coaching, fitness workouts and I can learn from the F1 engineers. When I race, I can apply what I've learned. I'll be more fit. I'll be more mentally in tune,” he said. “The most important thing is just how fast they can accelerate (me) from good to great.”

However, making it to F1 is not easy. The highest level of elite racing has just 20 drivers on the grid.

Kabir is well aware of the challenges. He said that even if he does not ultimately achieve his F1 dreams, he wants to know he put his pedal to the metal at every opportunity.

“I know that if I just focus on every single car that I'm put in, I'll do a good job. And if I don't then, I don't, but I'm going to make sure that I go for it. I don't want to live life with the regret of not going for it,” he said.

kabir_anurag_f1_f4_singapore_alpine_2.jpeg

Kabir Anurag juggles tennis balls to warm up before a race. (Photo: Team Kabir Anurag)
kabir_anurag_f1_f4_singapore_alpine_1.jpeg

US Racing's Kabir Anurag of Singapore gets into his car at the Mugello Circuit in Italy. (Photo: Team Kabir Anurag)
kabir_anurag_f1_f4_singapore_alpine_3.jpeg

US Racing's Kabir Anurag of Singapore at the Misano World Circuit in Italy. (Photo: Team Kabir Anurag)

Kabir has been captivated by the sport and the need for speed since he was four. Now, his engine is just getting warmed up.

“When I'm in that zone, when I'm doing my best job, I'm unstoppable. I just need to make sure that I get in that zone and that I'm always pushing, always striving,” he said.

His manager Pavan said he hopes Kabir’s achievements can inspire more Singaporeans to dream big.

“If Kabir can do it, I believe anyone can do it,” he said. “I hope that this is a massive inspiration to people from Singapore or from our region to push. If they have a dream – push.”

Kabir will be returning home for the Singapore F1 Grand Prix in September. He will be in the Alpine garage, learning from the F1 crew.

He hopes that one day, he will race to the chequered flag on home soil.

Continue reading...

Back