• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Defunct sandwich cafe Korio makes limited-time comeback with pop-up at Zouk Group-owned Here Kitty Kitty bar

LaksaNews

Myth
After a good four-year run at Far East Square, popular sandwich joint Korio quietly closed its doors last December. The tiny takeaway cafe was well-loved for its hearty New York-style sandwiches and rustic doughnuts, which were made on-site.

But call it a Komeback of sorts: Korio is returning for a limited time, via a pop-up at Zouk Group’s cocktail lounge Here Kitty Kitty. The pop-up runs from May 16 to Jun 8, but only from Thursdays to Saturdays, 6pm to 10pm (or till sold out).

HOW THE COLLAB CAME ABOUT

While we didn’t expect a quaint hipster spot to collaborate with a nightlife giant, the pop-up came about because Zouk Group CEO Andrew Li managed to try a Korio sandwich at the last minute before it closed.

“I wasn’t a customer as I was never able to get a sandwich. It was always sold out! When I heard it was closing, I slid into their DMs and they replied to me. I was able to try it and immediately fell in love with their sandwiches. It was as good as I dreamt it to be,” he recounted to 8days.

For the pop-up, Korio’s husband-and-wife owners Myron Tan and Shaz Henshaw are creating a “specially curated menu” with Zouk Group’s chief culinary officer Lorenz Hoja. The German-born chef, who has trained with celeb chef Joël Robuchon in London and Paris, was the executive chef at L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon in Singapore and helped clinch the restaurant’s two Michelin stars in 2016 and 2017.

WHAT TO EXPECT

The menu offers two options each of ‘starter’ sandwiches, ‘filler’ sarnies, dessert doughnuts and spritz drinks.

Starter sarnies come in smaller portions, like the Nordic Craze (S$17) with salmon confit, quail egg, creme cheese, ikura and marinated onions on baguette. There’s also the Italian Job (S$17), which has burrata, zucchini, parmesan, tomato confit and fresh arugula leaves on focaccia.

For the heartier ‘fillers’, there is the Get Shorty (S$25) bagel layered with braised beef short rib, roasted onions, gratinated provolone and pickled cucumber.

get%20shorty.jpg.jpg

Get Shorty ($25) bagel. (Photo: Zouk Group/Korio)

You can also get a Vietnamese-inspired Jon Bánh Jo Mi (S$25), a baguette wedged with thick barramundi nuggets, pickled veggies, XO mayo and house-made sriracha chilli sauce.

Instead of the ring doughnuts that Korio is known for, the ‘Happy Endings’ dessert selection here offers plump, Italian-style loaded maritozzi doughnuts.

They come in two local-inspired flavours like Green Magic (S$8.50), which has pandan chantilly cream, coconut glaze and roasted coconut flakes, while the Chocolate OD (S$8.50) is stuffed with chocolate chantilly cream, chocolate glaze, and shaved kumquat peel.

sweets_borrow_from_local_flavours_like_green_magic_chocolate_od.jpeg

Green Magic (S$8.50) and Chocolate OD (S$8.50). (Photo: Zouk Group/Korio)

There’s no coffee served, but you can get tipples to go with your sarnies and doughnuts such as Hail Mary (S$20), a Bianco tequila-based concoction with watermelon celery shrub and tomato water.

The menu items are available a la carte, but if you are planning on trying everything, you can get a Three-Course Set (S$45) with a starter, filler and happy ending, or a Two-Course Set (S$31) with a filler and happy ending.

Korio’s pop-up at Here Kitty Kitty runs from May 16 to Jun 8, Thursdays to Saturdays only, 6pm-10pm (or till sold out). For reservations, click here.

This story was originally published in 8days.

For more 8Days stories, visit https://www.8days.sg/

Continue reading...

Back