• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Ann Kok: What were the 5 roles that defined her acting career?

LaksaNews

Myth
Those who grew up watching television in the late nineties would know that Ann Kok was the dream girl for many.

Time flies, and the eternally youthful actress, who turned 51 earlier this year, has been in showbusiness for over three decades. She is set to receive her All-Time Favourite Artiste trophy at this year’s Star Awards.

With congratulations in order, 8days hopped onto a phone call with Ann to find out more about her journey as an actress, and the roles which defined her showbiz career.

MORNING EXPRESS (1995)

ann_morning_express.png

Ann as Ye Xiaojing in Morning Express (1995). (Photo: mewatch)

Ann, who got her start in showbusiness after taking part in Star Search in 1993, immediately names the teen drama as one of her more significant projects.

The drama, about a caring school teacher and his class of wayward teens, also starred Chen Hanwei and Fann Wong, and launched all three actors into the stratosphere. It had a sequel that featured a set of new characters bar Hanwei's iconic Fang Laoshi.

“I played a sick student (Ye Xiaojing) in Part One, but in fact, it’s Part Two’s role, which I have more memories of. The reason was because we went to New Zealand for filming, and it was really quite an experience,” said Ann, who worked on the drama as a fresh-faced 22-year-old.

LEGEND OF THE WHITE HAIR BRIDES (1996)

ann_legend_of_the_white_hair_brides.png

Ann was Nalan Minghui and Yilan Zhu in Legend Of The White Hair Brides (1996). (Photo: mewatch)

“I played two characters, mother and daughter (Nalan Minghui and Yilan Zhu, respectively). I was the only actor on set for quite a few scenes and I was acting with myself. It was tough. I had to act (as one character) first, then with a stand-in. They filmed the stand-in from the back, and she wasn’t acting, nor did she have any expression, so I had to (imagine) everything myself,” recalled Ann.

“After that, I needed to change my hairstyle and everything. It was a period drama so it was a bit troublesome. At that time, it was very hot. We filmed the show in Shanghai and Xinjiang, and managed to experience summer and winter in the span of three months because of the difference in seasons in both places.”

She remembered the filming and living conditions in China to be tough, and her time there was spent mostly working and sleeping. “Sleep was so important then,” she added with a laugh.

WOK OF LIFE (1999)

ann_wok_of_life.png

Ann as Saiman in Wok of Life (1999). (Photo: Mediacorp)

The 50-episode drama, which centres around the characters working at a reputable hotel restaurant, Fu Man Lou, is in Ann’s words “just so good”.

“The story, all of us working together, it was just so memorable,” she said, also calling it one of the projects she had the most fun working on

“I had fun in my role as my character is like a cili padi with a very soft heart. She had a big personality, and she was in charge of taking care of her siblings,” said Ann of her role Saiman.

Listen to the theme song for Wok of Life, which was sung by Ann, in the clip below.

KAMPONG TIES (2011)
ann_family_ties.png

Ann as Feng Yueman in Kampong Ties (2011). (Photo: mewatch)

“We filmed the whole thing in a small town in Malaysia and we experienced a flood there. It was so scary. We had to stop filming and go to a building to wait for the water level, which was almost one storey high, to go down,” she said.

“We were also staying at this hotel which was (structured) like a resort, but not the luxury (kind). It was still decent, but there were quite a few mornings where I woke up to get prepared for work and the whole bathroom floor was covered in insects. I’m scared of insects so I was like ‘Oh, s***!’. I had to tell myself to be brave, so I wore slippers into the bathroom. Luckily, most of the insects were almost dead already so I washed them into the drain. It was very scary,” she laughed.

For Ann, the best part of working in a kampong was getting to try the town’s local food.

“I used to go there for the buns, and for breakfast and coffee. That’s the perk – getting to eat,” she chuckled.

TRAPPED MINDS (2016)

ann_trapped_minds.png

Ann as Melanie Gan in Trapped Minds (2016). (Photos: mewatch)

When asked about the most challenging role she had to play, Ann took some time to ponder before landing on this four-episode 2016 miniseries.

“I was kidnapped by (Zhu) Houren da ge (big brother) in the drama, and my four limbs had to be tied to the back of my body. I had to lie down (in that position) for hours, and it was actually very uncomfortable and physically exhausting,” she said.

After the trip down memory lane, we asked Ann if she would choose to go back in time to do anything differently.

Her reply took us by complete surprise.

“I wouldn’t be in the entertainment (industry),” she said with a laugh.

“I wouldn’t have become an actress at all. I’m not sure what I would’ve done instead, but I’m quite sure I wouldn’t be acting. I was never the person who had dreams of being a singer or actor, things just happened and I ended up in this line, that’s it,” she said.

She joined Star Search simply because she thought she would “maybe give it a try”. She didn’t expect to find success at all.

As for now, Ann, whose last Mediacorp drama was Healing Heroes (2022), is “taking one step at a time”, and not looking too far ahead. She will still take up a new role if she feels that it’s interesting and suitable for her.

This story was originally published in 8days.

For more 8Days stories, visit https://www.8days.sg/

Continue reading...

Back