• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

30% fall in demand led to adjustment of bus services like 167; some commuters slam 'ridiculous' LTA decision

LaksaNews

Myth
SINGAPORE: The impending adjustment of some of Singapore’s bus routes, including the cancellation of service 167, was met with derision by some commuters on Friday (Nov 17), who disputed the Land Transport Authority’s (LTA) assessment that those routes experienced a fall in demand due to the opening of the Thomson-East Coast Line (TEL).
Describing services 167, 162/M and 75 as "long trunk services", LTA told CNA that the demand for the three services had dropped 30 per cent to 40 per cent along the sectors that run parallel to the TEL.

The authority had been monitoring the bus services that duplicate sections of TEL, particularly along the Upper Thomson corridor and city area, for adjustments since the opening of the MRT line. Changes in ridership were analysed, and the availability of travel alternatives to those bus services was also considered.

Service 167 - which connects areas such as Sembawang, Upper Thomson, Novena, Orchard, the central business district and Bukit Merah - will cease operations from Dec 10.

Service 162 and 162M will be combined into a single service 162 and will no longer service Thomson Road and the central business district, while service 75 will no longer serve Outram Park MRT Station, Shenton Way and Marina Centre.

changes_to_bus_route_for_service_162.jpeg

changes_to_bus_route_for_service_75_1.jpeg

“Specific to Service 167, LTA had earlier taken steps to lengthen the headway as lower demand was observed after the opening of TEL3,” said the authority.

“Taking into account the sustained reduction in demand and availability of other alternatives, LTA assessed that discontinuation would be the optimal approach to reallocate finite resources.”

"RIDICULOUS" CHANGES​

But some commuters CNA spoke to on Friday evening disagreed with LTA's assessments.

One of them, a man in his late twenties who did not want to be named, said he had been taking bus service 167 "his whole life".

"I take 167 on the weekends. It is still extremely full going to Orchard, so I don't see a drop in the number of commuters on the bus route," said the man at a bus stop outside Upper Thomson MRT station.

He added that once service 167 ceases operations, he would have to take service 980 to Novena before transferring to the MRT for another journey to Orchard station.

The frequency of service 980 - which serves a similar sector as service 167 between Sembawang and Thomson Road - will be increased as part of LTA's adjustments.

A 61-year-old man told CNA he usually travels from Casuarina Road to Upper Thomson Road via service 167 as often as twice a day.

"The wait is very long, usually about 20 minutes," Mr Wong said. "The only other option is 980, but they usually come together anyway."

The commuter, who was with his wife, said they had considered selling their car in favour of public transport, but have now dropped that option.

"We rely on this bus route a lot. I come here (Upper Thomson Road) to get food all the time. Now that the route is shutting down, I have yet to make alternative plans," said Mr Wong, a full-time trader.

"167 is easily the most used route from our area in Casuarina," said Mrs Wong. The general manager at a travel company said that the route is the most convenient bus route for her and her husband, as they often use it to go to the city as well. The couple declined to give their full names.

"I don't believe the ridership is low," she said. "So many people board the bus in our area".

Mrs Wong said it was "ridiculous" that the 167 route would cease to exist soon. "I hope they come up with something to service our area, since the nearest MRT station is not even that near anyway."

Related:​

20231117_181814.jpg

The Land Transport Authority announced on Nov 17, 2023, changes to several bus routes, including service 162. (Photo: CNA/Suen Wai Kit)

Another commuter, a 58-year-old housewife who gave her name as Ms Tong, said she usually travels from Tanglin to Kong Meng San Temple at Sin Ming Avenue about twice a week. "I took 162 a couple of times, but now I'm scared. It takes so long for the bus to arrive," she said in Mandarin.

"Nowadays, I would rather take a bus to the nearest MRT station for my weekly travels. Yes, it is more expensive, but at least it's more predictable," said Ms Tong. "I am unemployed so it doesn't affect me as much, but for those who are working, I can imagine it is really difficult."

Ms Tong said she was unaware of the upcoming changes - the amendment of service 162 and the discontinuation of service 167. "I guess it doesn’t affect me too much because I can take other buses to an MRT station instead."

LTA said on Friday it had consulted community leaders and "taken on board their feedback and suggestions before finalising the changes".

The TEL is Singapore's sixth MRT line and will connect the eastern and northern parts of Singapore once it is fully completed in 2025.

Singapore’s MRT network will have eight rail lines when Phase 1 of the Cross Island Line opens in 2030.

Continue reading...

Back