• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

'It broke my heart': Iconic Thambi Magazine Store closes at Holland Village

LaksaNews

Myth
The shutters went down on Holland Village icon and landmark, Thambi Magazine Store along Lorong Liput for the last time on Sunday (May 5), after more than 80 years in business.
Its closure came three days after store owner Periathambi Senthilmurugan, better known as Sam, announced that he was closing shop at its current location - a move he would rather do than halve his display rack as instructed.
"After announcing that I am leaving, I was already half-dead, I got no mood," Sam told CNA Lifestyle on the store's last day of operations.
"I have not taken any proper meals, I cannot sleep and I cannot do anything. I am like a corpse walking around."

Sam%20Thambi%20Magazine%20closing%20day%20Sam%20thanking%20customers.jpg

Sam thanking customers who dropped by to give him words of encouragement and support on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
But as more and more people came by to offer him words of encouragement, as well as to show support in the store's last days, Sam said he put on a brave face, even though inside, his heart was breaking.
"Elderly people came, they cried. Young people came, they cried. Because they feel a sense of belonging with this place.
"It broke my heart."
Sam%20Thambi%20magazine%20speaking%20with%20customers.jpg

Sam speaking with a customer on the final day of operations for Thambi Magazine Store on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)

Sam had to hold back tears. "I have to (keep smiling). I don't want to cry in front of them, if they cried, I have to hide (my tears). I try to console them: 'Look, I'll be back, I'll be back. Don't worry.'"

"If I cry, they might think 'Oh no, he's going to go'," he said.

"No, I still have this urge. The roots are here, the plant must grow again," he said, hinting that he would find a way to rehome his newsstand.

Thambi%20Magazine%20closing%20day%20browsing%202.jpg

Customers browing magazines on the closing day of Thambi Magazine Store on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
Thambi%20Magazine%20closing%20day%20browsing.jpg

Customers browing magazines on the closing day of Thambi Magazine Store on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
Thambi%20Magazine%20closing%20day%20browsing%206.jpg

Sam did not expect such a large turnout. But seeing the overwhelming show of support and kind words, it has given him motivation to look for another location to set up shop again, and to keep up the tradition of browsing magazines going.

At the time that CNA Lifestyle was at the store, many customers could be heard asking Sam: "Have you found a new place?", or telling him "All the best, I'll see you again".
Again and again, Sam would assure customers that he is looking for a new location. And when his relatives stood in for him to man the shop, the same words of concern could be heard being offered to them.
Senjula%20taking%20photo%20with%20customer%20Thambi%20magazine%20closing%20day.jpg

Mdm Senjula, Sam's wife, taking a photo with a customer who dropped by the store on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
Mrs%20Samy%20speaking%20with%20customers%20at%20Thambi%20Magazine%20closing%20day.jpg

Mrs Samy, Sam's sister-in-law, speaking with a customer on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
Asked about next steps for Thambi Magazine Store, Sam said he would prefer not to share any details as nothing is confirmed as yet. But he knows what sort of place he wants.
"It's like a mama shop along the street. It should be in the open, with a walkway. It should not be in an air-conditioned place, otherwise the traditional part and the heritage part of it goes away."
Thambi%20magazine%20closing%20day%205.jpg

A man watching other customers browse magazines at Thambi Magazine Store on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
People%20showing%20of%20their%20purchase%20at%20Thambi%20Magazine%20closing%20day.jpg

Customers showing off their magazine haul at Thambi Magazine Store on it final day of operation on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
Thambi%20Magazine%20closing%20day%20browsing%203.jpg

Customers browsing magazine at Thambi Magazine Store on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
Thambi%20magazine%20closing%20day%20people%20holding%20their%20magazines.jpg

Sam told CNA that the turnout on May 5, 2024 was close to 30 times the normal crowd the store receives on a regular Sunday. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
Sam%20and%20family%20Thambi%20Magazine%20closing%20day.jpg

Sam and family posing for a group photo along display shelves outside Thambi Magazine Store on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
Sunday was also the last time Sam and his family could gather at the store at the corner of Holland Road Shopping Centre.
While they would normally meet at a playground near their home on Sunday evening, Sam's nieces and nephews joined the rest of the family to spend one last evening together at the store which was a labour of love of their parents and grandparents.
Sam%20and%20family%20Thambi%20Magazine%20closing%20day%202.jpg

Sam and family gathering at Thambi Magazine Store on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
It was clear that the magazine store occupied a small corner in Holland Village, but a big space in the hearts of many who've forged memories there. Several have shared stories, that they would while away the hours absorbed by the vast array of magazines, or use it as a landmark to meet friends.
Thambi%20Magazine%20Store%20Family%20crying%20during%20closing.jpg

(L-R) Mdm Sivajothi, Mdm Mangalapriya (Sam's daughter), Mdm Senjula appeared emotional during the closing of Thambi Magazine Store. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
Before Sam pulled down the shutters one last time, he kissed a framed newspaper cutout featuring his father, before turning to his wife, Mdm Senjula. Tears rolled down their cheeks. They shared a moment of silence.
Then they nodded at each other and with a hook, Sam rolled the shutters down over the magazine racks, closing a little chapter in Singapore's history.
TRS_7334.MOV_.00_01_06_26.Still003.jpg

Sam kissing a frame up newspaper clipping which featured his late father before rolling the shutters down over the magazine racks. (Photo: CNA/ Try Sutrisno Foo)
TRS_7334.MOV_.00_03_16_07.Still001.jpg

Sam family bidding goodbye and thanking their customers as they Thambi Magazine Store on May 5, 2024. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)
TRS_7340.MOV_.00_01_23_19.Still001.jpg

Sam closing Thambi Magazine Store on May 5, 2024 while his family looks on. (Photo: CNA/Try Sutrisno Foo)

Continue reading...

Back